Monday, October 6, 2014

Get That Style: PREPPY

Hello, all!

Today I'm going to give you guys some tips on how to achieve that good, old-fashioned "preppy" style. I channel inspiration from this style so often; it just seems natural for me to do a post about it.

For those of you that are unaware of what this style is, think of the generic, Catholic schoolgirl look mixed with a country club and a Shetland pony. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

Without further adieu, let's get started with necessities for the Preppy Girl style:

Plaid
One of the main, if not the most popular, prints associated with preppy style is plaid. You can't go wrong with the classic red, but feel free to add your own twist by using different colored, or even multi-colored plaid. Plaid is mostly seen in skirts and pants, but I also see it in shirts, dresses, accessories, and sometimes outerwear.

Plaid - Preppy Essential
Pleated Skirts
What's a preppy schoolgirl to do without her pleated skirt? These are seen in both plaid and solid colors (I happen to have both in my own wardrobe!). I love seeing them paired with knee-high socks and Mary Janes for that authentic school uniform look.

Pleated Skirts - Preppy Essential
Cable-Knit Sweater
If you live in an area where the temperature is usually hot, like god-forsaken Los Angeles, this staple may not be practical for you. However, some brands do make thin sweaters that still have a cable knit texture to them. Get your hands on those rarities while you can!
Sweaters - Preppy

Collars
Perfect with your cable-knit sweater, an item with a nice collar is definitely a preppy necessity. Depending on what climate you live in, get yourself either a long or short-sleeved collared shirt. Collars also come commonly on dresses, like mine below. I can't get enough of collars; there are so many options to choose from, and they all just happen to look adorable!
Collars - Preppy

Oxfords and Mary Janes
The two essential shoe styles for preps are oxfords (which look like lace-up jazz shoes) and Mary Janes (flats with a strap). Every prep owns one of each. Every. Single. One. I happen to have two of each, no big deal.
Shoes - Preppy
Marni galaxy shoes (leopard)
Mary jane (pink)

I remember when I went through my ~dark~ phase in middle school, I would always make fun of preps and what they stood for. This post is kind of in dedication to me evolving into a more tolerant, rational human being.




No comments:

Post a Comment